Express delivery sortation hub operative (level 2)
Contribute to the successful processing of items within the expected timeframe.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 12 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Transport and logistics
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Express delivery operative
- Sortation hub operative
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Unload and load items using the correct equipment. For example this may involve cages, bags or booms.
- Matches items for sortation with the correct manual, mechanical, or automated handling technique.
- Prepares and operates sortation equipment in line with operating instructions.
- Responds to deliveries, collections and returns in accordance with own organisation procedures and any relevant contractual arrangements.
- Adapts own method of communication to the circumstances, using correct sortation terminology.
- Respond to data to support the correct flow of automated sortation.
- Assess and update labelling where required to support smooth transition through sortation to delivery.
- Match item cost to delivery service and respond to irregularities. (For example, identifying a large envelope with a regular stamp).
- Monitor and maintain sortation equipment to the required functionality. For example, the minor adjusting of belts and chutes during a typical shift.
- Identify and remedy basic faults in sortation equipment.
- Create reports on sortation performance, within limits of own role.
- Identify problems beyond own responsibility and escalate to the relevant person.
- Follow the contingency procedures that relate to incidents and emergencies. For example, damaged parcels or breakages.
- Identify and handle dangerous goods correctly in accordance with legislative requirements.
- Coordinate own work with that of others in the team to provide the required sortation tasks.
- Store and share data only when it is permitted to do so, in line with data protection legislation.
- Work compliantly by following relevant health and safety legislation.
- Maintain the integrity and security of items in line with procedures.
- Support others by following own organisations equality and diversity requirements.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.