Operational research specialist (level 7)
Help clients (either internally or externally) to make strategic, tactical and operational decisions.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to master’s degree.
- Typical duration
- 24 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Business and administration
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Analytics specialist
- Decision support analyst
- Management scientist
- Operational analyst
- Operational research analyst
- Operational research consultant
- Operational researcher
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Structure a client's problem using a relevant informal or formal methodology.
- Conceptualise complex client problems into tractable operational research questions.
- Critically evaluate and synthesise data relevant to the client problem (including data provenance, scope and limitations).
- Manipulates, interrogate and manage raw data, using relevant methodology.
- Undertake exploratory data analysis. This includes identifying relationships, robustness and quality, covering both model generated data and external information sources.
- Exercise judgement by selecting the appropriate technique to design an approach to a client's problem.
- Use relevant software solutions to support the analysis of a client's problem.
- Creates a model to analyse a problem; applies an appropriate approach including programming, scripting, coding or using spreadsheets.
- Critically analyse the internal and external factors relevant to an Operational Research problem to determine a holistic approach. These factors include organisational structures, the political, business and social context.
- Apply holistic approaches to an Operational Research problem, taking into consideration internal and external factors.
- Recommend compliant solutions that address the client's problem.
- Source and use relevant internal/external technical expertise necessary to address the client's problem.
- Use appropriate methodologies to manage complex client relationships.
- Strategically manage all variables necessary to deliver timebound Operational Research recommendations. This includes, but is not limited to, people, risk, financial controls and budgets.
- Exercise judgement to deliver persuasive arguments that are objective and unbiased.
- Translate complex landscapes into client focused communications that balance rationale for recommendations with project limitations & compliance.
- Critically evaluate & address own developmental needs.
- Apply judgement to provide relevant and timely feedback when supporting colleagues' development.
- Use concepts of team dynamics to create, lead and manage high performing and collaborative teams.
- Operate autonomously within the limits of own authority and responsibility.
- Design and implement strategic approaches that motivates team members to achieve objectives.
- Exercise judgement in managing and using data in accordance with relevant legislation, organisational principles and governance.
- Validate quality by application of relevant quality assurance methodology.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.