Advanced beauty therapist (level 3)
Provide, design and implement bespoke treatment plans.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 18 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Hair and beauty
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Advanced Beauty Therapist
- Head Therapist
- Senior Therapist
Skills an apprentice will learn
- perform advanced consultations for advanced manual and technical therapies to design bespoke treatment plans to include: factors that affect the treatment; in-depth client lifestyle profiling; body and skin analysis including type, condition and characteristics; postural analysis and the identification of any postural faults, characteristics, body shapes, lifestyle and health guidance; solutions for improving the condition of the clients’ physical appearance and emotional welfare; specific client risk assessment to establish suitability and indicators for treatment; the recognition of any contra-indications and take the necessary action; advice on expected and adverse contra-actions during or after the treatment; taking appropriate remedial action if the client experiences discomfort or contra-actions
- communication skills, to build and maintain clients' trust, by providing and collating accurate and relevant information, explaining the treatment procedure at each stage in the process
- establish suitability for treatment by completing appropriate tests including: allergy, sensitivity
- works in compliance against organisational operations to meet legal, local rules, industry requirements, treatment protocols, manufacturers' instructions and guidance
- ensure the client's records are completed, signed, maintained and stored accurately (manual or electronic methods) in accordance with legal and organisational operations
- maintain safe and effective methods of working in accordance with organisational operations to meet legal, local rules, industry requirements, treatment protocols, manufacturers' instructions and guidance by: maintaining personal hygiene, protection and presentation; maintaining client confidentiality and discretion before, during and after the treatments; positioning the client to meet the needs of the service; ensuring own posture and working methods minimise fatigue and the risk of injury to yourself and client; ensuring environmental conditions are suitable for the client and the treatment; keeping work area clean and tidy (products, tools and equipment);using working methods that minimise the risk of cross-infection; promoting environmental and sustainable working practices; disposal of waste materials to meet legal requirements
- prepare the client for treatment, whilst maintaining client's discretion, modesty and privacy. Maintain client comfort and care by checking the client's wellbeing before, during and after the treatment and allowing sufficient post-treatment recovery time.
- perform, implement and complete risk assessment protocols in relation to the environment, treatment and client risk. Liaise with non-health care and health care practitioners when required.
- implement, perform and adapt advanced manual therapies, inclusive of Swedish massage (face, scalp and body), singularly or as a course to meet client’s physical and psychological characteristics, treatment objectives (relaxing, wellbeing, uplifting, detoxifying and stimulating) needs and expectations. To include: effleurage, petrissage, tapotment, vibration and friction; deep tissue, light touch, lymphatic drainage and pressure point massage; advanced techniques using the forearm, wrist and elbow; choice of massage mediums
- implement, perform and adapt advanced facial technical (electrical or mechanical) therapy treatments, singularly or as a course to improve and maintain facial contour and muscle condition and increase lymphatic drainage, to improve face, neck and shoulder skin condition, to meet the client’s needs and expectations. To include the following advanced facial technical electrical or mechanical techniques/current types: galvanic; micro-current; microdermabrasion; low intensity LED light (below 500mW); skin warming devices; high/radio frequency (range 3khz- 300GHz (including high frequency 3khz -30mhz); lymphatic drainage equipment
- implement, perform and adapt advanced body technical (electrical or mechanical) therapy treatments, singularly or as a course to improve body skin condition, improve body contour and muscle condition and increase lymphatic drainage to meet the client’s needs and expectations. To include the following advanced body technical electrical or mechanical techniques/current types: galvanic; micro-current; microdermabrasion; low intensity LED light (below 500mW); skin warming devices; high/radio frequency (range 3khz- 300GHz (including high frequency 3khz -30mhz); electrical muscle stimulation, lymphatic drainage equipment
- select and prepare the relevant products, tools and equipment to suit the treatment objectives and plan
- use and adapt the products, equipment, tools and treatment duration to suit the client's skin type and characteristics, body type, body condition, sensitivity and tolerance
- advise on the environmental and lifestyle factors that impact the human body, systems and their effects on the ageing process
- resolve problems that may occur during treatments, and refer when required
- adapt advanced manual therapies treatments to suit different treatment objectives and treatment areas
- ensure the finished result is to the client's satisfaction and meets the agreed treatment objectives
- identify, resolve and report organisational operational problems within the scope of responsibility
- provide detailed, written, post treatment advice and recommendations to include: post treatment and follow- up procedures, aftercare products, avoidance of activities that may cause contra-actions or that reduce treatment benefits, time intervals between treatments, present and future products, homecare routines /treatments
- evaluate the treatment outcome in order to inform further treatment recommendations
- promote and sell products suitable for advanced manual and technical therapy services and treatments to include: link selling and long-term treatment planning to include; lifestyle and health guidance
- promote sales and additional treatments to enhance the client experience and overall treatment results
- adjust performance to meet targets consistently and within the agreed timescale by reviewing and recording progress
- develop and maintain salon procedures to safely control work operations, the management of salon business systems and processes including, successful business planning, financial effectiveness, promotional and marketing activities, team development, salon operations and supporting client service improvements, problem solving practice. Apply time and self-management principles
- supervise, coordinate and organise individual and team activities, whilst maintaining good working relationships with individuals and team members
- manage own continuing professional development (CPD) incorporating research, professional practice and progression
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.