Cleaning hygiene operative (level 2)
Providing a hygienically clean environment in which service users, staff and other users can thrive, work and develop.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 12 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Health and science
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Care hygiene operatives
- Cleaning hygiene operative
- Cleaning services operative
- Domestic assistant
- Environmental cleaning operative
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Conduct tasks according to documented safe ways of working.
- Select and use the most appropriate cleaning agent appropriate to different surface types.
- Use and dispose of chemicals following COSHH regulations and apply safety data sheets and dilution rates.
- Deal with routine and non-routine waste in line with organisation policies and environmental disposal legislation.
- Prepare cleaning materials and machinery and check that all electrical equipment complies with PAT testing requirements.
- Clean cleaning equipment and machinery after use.
- Identify potential sources of infection and put controls in place.
- Recognise the signs of infestation and report and monitor the problem according to local procedures.
- Recognise and respond to rapid response clean requests.
- Conduct scheduled and periodic cleaning, prioritising work where required.
- Conduct cleaning and disinfection tasks.
- Deliver housekeeping services including maintaining a clean storage environment, maintenance of equipment, stock control and rotation.
- Take measures to ensure the security of cleaning equipment and materials, and premises.
- Communicate with colleagues, clients, and other stakeholders professionally.
- Use visual checks and objective auditing techniques to ensure that cleaning has been completed to contractual standards.
- Identify and use correct methods for removal of contaminating material.
- Comply with data protection legislation.
- Use procedures for obtaining support.
- Apply colour coding correctly to conduct cleaning safely and effectively.
- Apply sustainable practices when carrying out duties.
- Apply procedures for reporting shortages, incidents, accidents, and issues with delivering cleaning services.
- Carry out and record different types of cleaning methods.
- Use supplied data to plan cleaning tasks.
- Engage with the audit and quality assurance process.
- Use PPE and comply with the organisational uniform policy to maintain required levels of hygiene.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.