Farrier (level 3)
Maintaining and caring for equine feet.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 42 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Agriculture, environmental and animal care
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Health & Safety: Maintain good standards of health and safety for self and others.
- Working Environment: Prepare and maintain the working environment, i.e. the forge, van or work area. Identify and minimise hazards and risks in the working environment.
- Equipment: Use, maintain and store equipment, tools and materials. Make the most efficient and effective use of materials, resources and time.
- Communication Skills: Communicate effectively with members of the public, clients and other professionals. A clear effective communicator who can use various methods of communications to give and receive information accurately and in a timely manner.
- Preparation of an equine foot care plan: Preparing a comprehensive individual foot care plan for unshod and shod equines to maintain their welfare needs (Farriers (Registration) Act 1975).
- Forging and Fabrication: Forge, fabricate and modify all shoes that may be required by an equine. This will include using the tools of the trade to make shoes from steel and aluminum, with an insight into the use of modern materials to rebuild and affix shoes to equine hooves.
- Practical skills: Using tools of the trade be able to: Remove an equine shoe Prepare and trim the sole, Frog and bars Prepare and trim the hoof wall for either an unshod horse or one that requires shoes. If equine is shod choose correct shoe, i.e. material, material size and length depending on the equines discipline. Make or reshape the shoe for the individual equine Nail or affix the shoe in an appropriate and safe manner. Produce clenches from the nail tips or finish the method of adhesion to comply with all health and safety guideline
- Business and IT Skills: Use of basic accountancy products, including basic VAT and TAX schemes and the use of the relevant government gateways
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.