Nuclear health physics monitor (level 2)
Proving radiological monitoring services in the nuclear industry to protect people, plant and the environment from contamination.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 24 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- 1. Use specialist radiological protection instruments to monitor: Surface and airborne contamination using hand-held contamination rate-meters and installed and portable air samplers; Radiation dose rates using hand-held, installed and portable radiation detectors; Individuals for personal contamination and respond accordingly
- 2. Carry out functional tests of radiation protection monitoring instrumentation using calibrated radioactive sealed sources;
- 3. Respond appropriately to changes in radiological conditions using the ALARP principles;
- 4. Record radiation protection monitoring and survey results – in a variety of formats (e.g. written logs, information technology;
- 5. Undertake radiation – related work activities safely and competently;
- 6. Participate in emergency response to provide radiological contingency arrangements to protect personnel, plant and the environment, for example: Respond to and take appropriate action in regard to emergency situations to monitor for environmental radiological releases; Where applicable carryout criticality incident monitoring; Use Forward Control Points (FCP) and Access Control Points (ACP) to respond to and recover from nuclear incidents. FCP’s & ACP’s are used to provide effective radiological safety control to personnel entering & leaving incident areas with regard to protective clothing, respiratory protection and radiation dose authorisation
- 7. Communicate radiological protection monitoring information effectively using a variety of appropriate communication methods to interact with others to give and receive information accurately in a timely, positive, challenging and professional manner.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.