Photographic assistant (level 3)
Carrying out skilled work in the photographic industry utilising common photographic knowledge and skills.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 18 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Creative and design
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Comply with relevant legislation and guidance including health, safety, COSHH, PPE and environmental issues in own workplace.
- Comply with legal and copyright issues according to the task specification.
- Obtain necessary permissions for use of images and confirm all agreements in writing.
- Ensure that all licenses to use own work are issued in writing.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the different sub sectors of the photo imaging industry, and the job opportunities they present.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with clients/customers.
- Start up and close down imaging hardware following proper procedures.
- Follow workplace security procedures to check the system security, virus protection and file security.
- Recognise any problems in the imaging system and resolve them where you can.
- Carry out housekeeping activities.
- Ensure that the digital imaging software is set up for efficient performance.
- Ensure procedures are in place to maintain a history of all image files.
- Ensure that system security and access procedures have been set up correctly.
- Ensure that maintenance and servicing procedures have been set up correctly.
- Ensure that all paperwork is completed accurately and in full and that copies are kept and accurate records maintained.
- Determine the approach to be adopted in retouching the image(s) in agreement with the client.
- Produce retouched images that clearly and accurately, meet the client’s requirements.
- Check the quality of the retouched images against client requirements and workplace standards.
- Save the retouched image files in the correct format ready for outputting or storage.
- Embed copyright and other metadata in images in standard image file formats.
- Embed key metadata information in own image files to avoid orphan work status.
- Assign keywords to classify images including by content, topic and concept.
- Ensure key metadata is preserved throughout the workflow to storage.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.