Psychological wellbeing practitioner (level 6)
Helping people with mild to moderate anxiety and depression manage their conditions.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to degree.
- Typical duration
- 12 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Health and science
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Communicate effectively with individuals verbally and in writing to build successful caring relationships with patients and colleagues, whilst also keeping information confidential.
- Evaluate and respond to peoples’ needs sensitively with regards to all aspects of diversity.
- Manage personal and sensitive information, in line with local and national policies and legislation. Keep information secure and ensure that any information audits are compliant with such policies and legislation.
- Accurately record interviews and questionnaire assessments using paper and electronic recording keeping systems in a timely manner.
- Communicate using a range of methods including face-to-face, telephone, presentations and electronic mediums.
- Communicate effectively with and signpost to other agencies with informed consent. For example, employment, occupational and other advice services.
- Select and deploy a range of assessments to aid problem recognition and definition e.g. psychometric assessment, problem focused assessment and intervention planning assessment.
- Recognise and analyse patterns of symptoms of conditions such as anxiety disorders and depression and evaluate patient need and level of ongoing risk to themselves and others.
- Enable shared decision making and promote empowerment by working collaboratively with patients to provide patient-centred care.
- Build and sustain a therapeutic alliance with patients to manage emotional distress in sessions and understand patients' perspectives.
- Collaboratively use behaviour change models to help identify and evaluate patient goals and choice of low-intensity intervention.
- Formulate and deliver evidenced based low-intensity psychological treatments. For example, supporting patients undertaking recommended treatments for problem solving, panic and sleep management and to review treatment plans continually.
- Support patients using medication to optimise medication use and minimise adverse effects in liaison with the patient’s GP.
- Manage a caseload of patients with common mental health problems efficiently and safely, including the assessment of risk and vulnerability.
- Actively engage in clinical skills supervision to assist the delivery of low-intensity interventions and case management supervision for individual case discussion and skills development.
- Reflect on and evaluate your practice, keeping your knowledge and skills updated and respond to appraisal/feedback appropriately.
- Respond professionally to supervisor feedback and initiate change in a timely manner to ensure high quality patient care.
- Adhere to employers ethical local and national policies and procedures.
- Recognise, respect and engage with people from a diverse demographic that includes personal, family, social and spiritual values held by communities served by the service.
- Practice autonomously within your scope of practice and be responsible and accountable for safe, compassionate, patient-centred, evidence based practice.
- Work within your own practice boundaries and levels of competence.
- Establish consent appropriate to the patient’s capacity and determine the optimal course of action when consent cannot be secured
- Establish and maintain appropriate professional and personal boundaries with patients.
- Recognise the limitations to your competence and role and direct people to resources appropriate to their needs, including step-up to high-intensity therapy and onward referral.
Find training providers for this course
Psychological wellbeing practitioner (level 6) needs a training provider who is approved by British Psychological Society (BPS). Training provider must be approved by regulator body..
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.