Hire controller (plant, tools and equipment) (level 2)
Providing specialist plant, tools, machinery or equipment on short or long-term hire.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 12 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Construction and the built environment
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Process requisitions, orders and on-hire and off-hires, ensuring all legal, health & safety requirements have been met;
- For commercial clients, carry out health, safety and environmental checks to ensure the PTE meets the needs of the client’s site.
- Complete contract documentation for on-hire and off-hires;
- Arrange the timely delivery and collection of equipment, considering vehicle type, site accessibility and health & safety requirements;
- Follow organisational processes in relation to hire insurance and hire equipment damage, theft and loss;
- Cross-hire PTE according to organisational procedures;
- Convey transport requirements including locations, delivery times and potential restrictions to drivers and hauliers;
- Organise the replacement and recovery of defective equipment;
- Process damage agreement and notification documentation.
- Explain to customers the specification of the equipment to be hired, ensuring they understand the health, safety and environmental impacts and operational requirements and procedures.
- For plant supplied with an operator, ensure all licences and site cards are current and valid for the operation and liaise with the contractor to provide such evidence.
- Clearly communicate accurate legal, technical, safety and environmental information, ensuring the level of detail provided is appropriate to meet the needs and understanding of customers;
- Explain hire terms, conditions and rates.
- Provide, explain and process hire rates and associated transactions e.g. daily rate, insurance excess, damage charges.
- Use organisational IT, technology and systems.
- Comply with organisational data protection policies and processes.
- Action customer queries and concerns in accordance with company procedures;
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.