Engineering fitter (level 3)
Producing complex high value, low volume components or assemblies.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 42 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Controls and systems fitter
- Electrical fitter
- Electronic fitter
- Instrumentation fitter
- Mechanical fitter
- Pipe fitter
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Reading, interpreting and understanding the component/assembly specification, diagrams, drawings and work instructions
- Planning component/assembly task – materials, tools and equipment
- Preparing work area for component/assembly task; sourcing required resources, tools/equipment
- Carryout relevant planning and preparation activities before commencing work activity and know how to source required resources and interpret detailed drawings, specifications and job instructions
- Checking tools during and after task completion; identifying and reporting defects
- Measuring and testing, checking/inspecting component/assembly for example; use of micrometers, verniers, multimeters, volt meter
- Problem solving; analysing the issue and fixing the issue where appropriate
- Applying improvement techniques; recommending/implementing solutions where appropriate
- Communicating with colleagues and/or customers (internal or external)
- Completing component/assembly documentation for example job instructions, drawings, quality control documentation
- Reporting work outcomes and/or issues
- Restoring the work area on completion of the activity; returning any resources and consumables to the appropriate location and house-keeping.
- Disposing of waste in accordance with waste streams; re-cycling/re-using where appropriate
- Operating within limits of responsibility
- Operating in line with quality, health & safety and environmental policy and procedures; identifying risks and hazards and identifying control measure where applicable
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.