Structural steelwork fabricator (level 2)
Welding on construction projects.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 24 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Construction and the built environment
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Plan and preparation to ensure production and personal development goals are achieved.
- Prepare the working area, equipment, consumables and materials for setting out the components to be marked for drilling, cutting, notching, welding or bending.
- Read and interpret drawings, sketches and weld symbols.
- Fabricate curved sections, trusses, facetted sections and prepare butt welds.
- Prepare and use the equipment for bolting connections or welding component parts.
- Create appropriate jigs to aid repetition work and complex shapes.
- Complete and dimensionally check the finished fabrication ready for inspection and report into the production control system.
- Complete fillet welds in at least two positions (downhand, horizontal or vertical).
- Achieve a quality of work to meet international standards for dimensional inspection.
- Ensure that health and safety requirements are fully accounted for in all the above.
- Complete welding tasks to the standard BS EN 9606-1 MAG 135 Flux Cored 136.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.