Motorcycle technician (repair and maintenance) (level 3)
Servicing and repairing motorcycles within either the franchised or independent motorcycle sector.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 36 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Perform the fundamental engineering tasks which most procedures include, such as: cutting, drilling, filing, removing and replacing bolts, screws and clips, replacing seals, extracting damaged fasteners and using fabrication skills
- Assist in upholding high standards of safety and efficiency in the workshop, adhere to the requisite business processes (e.g. environmental awareness, health and safety practices, record keeping, and customer contact) and standard workshop
- Safely secure motorcycles to ramps and use specialised supporting stands in order to remove road wheels and major components, including: brake systems, suspension and drive (chain, belt or drive shaft)
- Successfully inspect and prepare a motorcycle to the required quality standard for handover to the customer e.g. following a service, complex repair, pre-delivery inspection by checking work against
- Service and maintain motorcycles in line with manufacturer specifications logged in manuals and online
- Remove, repair and replace components in line with manufacturers defined instruction
- Use diagnostic methods, mechanical and electrical measuring tools and equipment to check compliance and rectify faults
- Investigate symptoms of motorcycle fault(s) and identify the underlying causes prior to repair
- Access specific information e.g. motorcycle repair information, wiring diagrams, maintenance tables, technical production information, safety recalls
- Apply advanced diagnostic principles, logical problem-solving techniques and complex
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.