Mammography associate (level 4)
Operating specialist equipment used to screen people for breast cancer.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to higher national certificate (HNC).
- Typical duration
- 12 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Health and science
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Positively identify individuals attending for mammography.
- Prepare equipment and environments appropriately for mammography.
- Prepare individuals appropriately for mammography.
- Employ effective positioning and immobilisation to achieve images of high quality.
- Operate mammography equipment safely and effectively within protocol.
- Refer to an appropriate member of the multi-disciplinary breast care team where required.
- Assess the technical quality of images produced.
- Process and store images.
- Advise individuals of the results process and give any necessary additional information within the scope of your responsibility.
- Maintain comprehensive and accurate records of the procedure.
- Maintain the radiation safety of all individuals in the working environment in line with current legislation.
- Work in accordance with ionising radiation regulations.
- Use information management systems effectively.
- Safely operate mammography equipment.
- Participate in mammography quality control.
- Adhere to NHSBSP standards of performance.
- Practise safely within relevant legal, ethical, professional and local frameworks and protocols.
- Work individually, collaboratively and in partnership to deliver person-centred care.
- Manage self and own work effectively.
- Apply effective interpersonal and communication skills to engage with individuals.
- Demonstrate accountability, recognising and responding appropriately to strengths and limitations in own knowledge, skills and attributes.
- Ensure own actions promote equality and diversity.
- Comply with legal, professional and local requirements for the delivery of clinical mammography.
- Make use of supervision and pastoral care.
- Make use of reflective practice to engage in continuing professional development.
- Engage in effective health promotion.
- Work effectively within the multi-disciplinary breast care team.
- Promote a positive, safe and effective working environment.
- Demonstrate proficiency in basic life-support techniques, infection control, safe moving and handling and other mandatory training requirements.
- Safeguard individuals in accordance with legal and organisational requirements.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.