Highways maintenance skilled operative (level 2)
Working on rural and urban roads to repair damaged surfaces.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 18 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Construction and the built environment
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Apply appropriate health, safety and environment procedures when working on the road
- Plan and undertake work practice productively when carrying out repairs to potholes, pavements and kerbs, and laying new surfaces on rural and urban roads
- Read, interpret and work to drawings, specifications and highways information Highways information will include details on the use of safety barriers, cones, traffic flow and safety zones to work within, whilst employed on the highway
- Use underground cable locators to identify buried water, gas, sewer lines or other utility services, and once identified excavate by hand around the line to stop any damage and disruption to services
- Apply safe working practise for moving, storing, lifting and handling of resources
- Excavation and reinstatement of the highway by carrying out maintenance and repairs, including removal of material within the road or road side using hand or power tools and reinstatement of the area using concrete, screeds, sub-base, aggregates or bituminous materials
- Install Street Ironworks (drain access covers and frames and gully gates situated on the road) to given work instructions
- Prepare and operate powered tools or pedestrian plant, machinery or equipment for use on roads. This will include machinery for generator™s, pumps, pedestrian operated plant (e.g. pushed roller), mixers, compressors and self“powered tools (pneumatic drill)
- Prepare, set up and work within temporary traffic management (using cones and barriers to section off elements of the road from vehicles and pedestrians) on urban and rural roads, whilst excavating and re-instating the highway
- Work with other sub-contractors on larger schemes (e.g. traffic management)
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.