Internal audit professional (level 7)
Providing independent, objective assurance and consulting activity to add value and improve an organisation's operations.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to master’s degree.
- Typical duration
- 36 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Legal, finance and accounting
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Building Relationships: IAProfs build long-term relationships based on trust and respect, both within IA and with management across the organisation, other assurance providers to inform dynamic changes to IA plan and understand the risk profile of the organisation.
- Communication: IAProfs communicate clearly and succinctly, both verbally and in writing, turning complex issues into plain language. IAProfs adapt communication to suit situation and audience, promote open communication to gain commitment and action. IAProfs chair meetings effectively to achieve objectives.
- Influencing & Collaboration: IAProfs wield influence and motivate others through collaboration to remove organisational barriers, manage conflict, reach consensus and achieve results, and will empower others to achieve outcomes.
- Analytical and Problem Solving: IAProfs determine use of data analytics/data extraction software, communicate requirements to others. IAProfs gather necessary facts/evidence to make decisions. Critcally analyse and evaluate information quickly, drawing accurate conclusions, assessing problems from multiple angles, using benchmark data to inform. Apply business intelligence/problem solving techniques, focus on themes/trends; use this information to make informed decisions and judgements.
- Business Acumen: IAProfs interpret/articulate key risks impacting organisation/wider industry; apply understanding of this wider context to drive audit plan.
- Risk and Control / Audit Methodology: IAProfs understand different types of control; management control techniques; internal control framework characteristics (e.g. COSO, ISO, COBIT, etc.) used in organisation/industry. Apply different types of IA methodologies and standards through all stages of an IA assignment.
- Delivery Management: IAProfs lead/manage audit assignments allocating resources/delegating work; applying management skills/leadership styles, conflict management, project management & change management skills to deliver quality work within budget and timeline. IAProfs deliver a level of oversight/supervision to manage others, delivering assurance to conform to the IIA standards. IAProfs are fundamental in developing and applying quality assurance and improvement programme and continuous improvement. IAProfs support delivery of IA observations, implementation of follow-up programmes and reporting for IA management to deliver at the audit committee.
- Managing Others: IAProfs act as role models; motivate others to deliver results, create environment to encourage creative thinking & manage through others to deliver results. IAProfs develop potential of others supporting their career aspirations through feedback/ coaching, supporting well-being of others.
- Systems and IT Skills: IAProfs effectively use business systems/software to deliver IA outcomes e.g. sending emails, using word processing and spreadsheet software, work papers etc. to get the most out of their role.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.