Technician scientist (level 5)
Working in a laboratory and using various scientific techniques.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to higher national diploma (HND).
- Typical duration
- 33 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Health and science
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Analytical Support Chemist
- Assistant Scientist
- Laboratory Analyst
- Laboratory Assistant
- Laboratory Co-ordinator
- Laboratory Research Assistant
- Microbiology Support Scientist
- Process Development Technologist
- Quality Control Laboratory Assistant
- Senior Laboratory Technician
- Technical Laboratory Assistant
- Technical Specialist (Scientist)
- Technical Support Scientist
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Perform laboratory based investigations and basic scientific experimentation using the appropriate scientific techniques, procedures and methods of relevance to the activities of the laboratory.
- Comply with the quality standards, safe working practices, environment and risk management systems relevant to the workplace.
- Explain the main concepts of the scientific principles according to the literature applicable to the laboratory based techniques and scientific experimentation used in the laboratory.
- Contribute to the development of new processes and methodologies and support their implementation as part of a wider team
- Work with minimal supervision to produce and analyse scientific data and present the results of laboratory work and problem solving clearly and concisely in written and oral form
- Use computer based data analysis tools including spreadsheets and relevant company software packages.
- Plan and prioritise own tasks, review and evaluate progress against objectives and project plans as part of a wider project team.
- Contribute to recommendations on the appropriate workflows, improvements or scientific solutions to meet the requirements of internal or external customers.
- Find solutions to routine and non-routine problems and contribute to developing solutions to complex problems using techniques such as root cause analysis.
- Contribute to continuous performance improvement within the scientific and technical environment.
- Communicates effectively using a full range of skills: speaking to a scientific and non-scientific audience, active listening, professional writing, and scientific presentation.
- Works with minimal supervision and interacts effectively within a wide, scientific team.
- Manages time effectively, being able to plan and complete work to schedule with thoroughness and attention to detail.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.