Marine pilot (level 5)
Safely navigating vessels from sea to berth or berth to sea within the ports jurisdiction.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to higher national diploma (HND).
- Typical duration
- 30 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Transport and logistics
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Plan an Act of Pilotage
- Embark and Disembark a vessel whilst underway and whilst alongside
- Assess standards on the piloted vessel
- Work effectively with the bridge team
- Liaise and communicate within the port jurisdiction, including correct use of the vessels communication and navigational equipment.
- Safely transit the pilotage district
- Manoeuvre vessels in harbours and their approaches
- Respond to problems and emergency situations
- Manage personal & professional conduct & development