Painter and decorator (level 2)
Working in domestic and commercial properties and undertaking the decoration and protection of buildings.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 36 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Construction and the built environment
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Prepare the work area safely providing dust sheets and protection to furniture and adjacent surfaces.
- Identify hazards and risks in the workplace ensuring a safe environment is maintained at all times.
- Select, use, maintain and store, paint, tools, wallcoverings, spray equipment, steps, ladders and towers safely.
- Follow and maintain work procedures and method statements.
- Make the most efficient and effective use of resources, time and materials.
- React correctly using the correct method of actions and reporting in the event of an accident or incident.
- Prepare for meetings and discussions by having appropriate paint specification and colour information.
- Use appropriate listening, and questioning, techniques.
- Use appropriate terminology when attending meetings.
- Work to allocated times and schedules for the project.
- Identify different industry sectors such as new construction, social housing, residential, refurbishment, commercial and Heritage.
- Identify different building methods e.g. steel frame, reinforced concrete frame, traditional solid wall and cavity wall, block and dry lined which determine the appropriate paint products and specifications.
- Interpret specification documents and ensure correct preparation and systems are followed.
- Refer to manufacturers’ product information and data sheets to avoid errors.
- Advise clients about basic colour choices.
- Recommend appropriate products for differing scenarios and sectors.
- Identify and rectify common surface coating and wall covering problems.
- Interpret and use health and safety documents.
- Identify substrates, hard wood, soft wood, ferrous and non- ferrous metal, factory finished etc.
- Prepare and strip surfaces using abrasives, chemical etchants, power sanders, heat and liquid methods.
- Understand and apply powder, two- pack, surfacers and resin fillers.
- Use different application methods brush, roller, spray, power-assisted rollers and special effect tools.
- Wallpaper using techniques for the hanging of lining paper, standard papers, digital print and wide width including (matching patterns, internal and external corners).
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.