Footwear manufacturer (level 2)
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 12 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Safely selecting, using, maintaining and storing equipment, materials and associated components (parts of the footwear product).
- Minimising hazards and risks in the workplace through safe working practices.
- Follow and maintain work procedures to ensure safety requirements are met.
- Cutting materials, primarily leather, around patterns supplied by the employer. This process can be by hand or machine / laser (clicking).
- Skiving (thinning the material to allow a flat seam), then closing (hand stitching or machining of uppers, which is the top part of the footwear).
- Formation of the footwear (lasting) by stretching the upper over the last, which is a plastic or wooden foot mould.
- Attaching the sole, which might be cemented (glued), or stitched to the upper.
- Attaching the heel and welt (the strip between sole and upper) where used.
- Finish the shoe, e.g. polishing techniques, insertion of insole, lacing and final touches.
- Inspect for quality to company specification.
- Pack to company specification.
- Perform routine maintenance to ensure the efficiency of machinery, tools and equipment (i.e. settings and preparation of tools) to meet production expectations.
- Identify the correct materials and components and use appropriately.
- Prepare and quality check (for faults) materials and components.
- Report faults in materials and components to the supervisor or manager.
- Read and interpret data from specifications and appropriate work instructions.
- Follow instructions in order to meet customer and company requirements.
- Implement efficient and effective use of materials by closely following instructions and minimising waste.
- Undertake processes to consistent speed and quality requirements as outlined by the company.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.