Bricklayer (level 2)
Laying bricks, blocks and other types of building components in mortar to construct and repair walls, foundations, partitions, arches and other structures.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 30 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Construction and the built environment
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Preparation of materials: Determine quality and quantities of building material including mix ratios of mortar and concrete. Areas and volumes of materials and resources.
- Safe working: Adhere to relevant health and safety legislation, codes of practice and apply safe working practices, including when working at heights. Safe use of ‘disc cutters’ and power cutters.
- Working area: Select appropriate tools, equipment and materials (eg trowel, levels, brick ties, DPC, insulation, mixers, lintels etc) for use when setting out and erecting masonry walling . Maintain a clean working environment.
- Masonry structures: Interpret drawings and specifications. Measure the work area and set out level first courses of bricks to a plan, including bonds for openings and the damp course. Mix mortar by hand or with a mechanical mixer. Lay bricks to set dimensions and apply mortar with a trowel to completion. Shape and trim bricks/blocks using hammers, chisels and power tools. Use of laser levels, spirit levels, optical levels and string lines to check that courses are straight, horizontally and vertically, and laid to a gauge. Ensure thermal qualities, airtightness and ventilation are maintained. Remove waste materials. Repair and renew masonry structures.
- Radial and battered brickwork: Set out and build brickwork, including simple arches and surrounding brickwork.
- Feature and reinforced brickwork: Set out and build brickwork, including common decorative features such as oversailing courses and simple corbels.
- Other brickwork: Block laying. Cavity walling to include openings, brick inspection chambers, joint finishes, set out a square, set out to a gauge rod and/or profiles.
- Building technology: Select materials and resources to be able to set out and lay concrete, drainage and other substructure materials.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.