Bricklayer (level 2)
Laying bricks, blocks and other types of building components in mortar to construct and repair walls.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 24 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Construction and the built environment
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Comply with health and safety regulations, standards, and guidance.
- Identify and use personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Comply with environmental and sustainability regulations, standards, and guidance. Segregate resources for reuse, recycling and disposal.
- Comply with industry regulations, standards, and guidance.
- Read and interpret information from drawings and specifications.
- Estimate and select required resources: For example, the quantity of bricks and blocks, mortar, wall ties and insulation.
- Prepare and maintain a safe working area.
- Select and use hand tools.
- Maintain and store hand tools.
- Set out brick and block cavity wall to given tolerances, including an opening.
- Construct a stretcher bond brick and block cavity wall with return and opening to given tolerances, including installing a lintel with soldiers, brick and edge sill, closure around opening, insulation, fire stopping, cavity tray, damp proof course (DPC) and weep holes.
- Apply joint finishes: For example, half round, flush, weather struck and recessed.
- Set out and construct a simple brick solid wall with capping.
- Gauge and hand mix mortar to ratio.
- Measure and cut bricks and blocks using hand tools, to given tolerances.
- Carry out a simple repair: For example, replacing damaged bricks.
- Protect materials and finished work.
- Verbally communicate with others, applying construction terminology.
- Follow equity, diversity and inclusion guidance.
- Applies team working principles to their own and the wider build team.
- Identifies well-being support available to self and others.
- Construct a brick wall with raking cut. For example, gable end wall or garden wall with raking cut.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.