Scaffolder (level 2)
Erecting, altering and dismantling scaffolding, to allow other trades to work safely at height from secure working platforms.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 18 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Construction and the built environment
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Follow procedures in line with health and safety regulations, standards, and scaffold guidance (quality).
- Comply with risk assessments, method statements and safe systems of work.
- Inspect and select serviceable scaffold materials, components, and tools before use and escalate defects.
- Follow procedures in line with environmental and sustainability regulations, standards, and guidance. Segregate resources for reuse, recycling and disposal.
- Carry, raise, lower, scaffold materials on a working platform.
- Move and store components tools and equipment.
- Install scaffold cantilevered structural components according to requirements of industry guidance and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Protect others within the working vicinity. For example, the public through signage, barriers.
- Install spurs and supports on cantilever sections.
- Select, space, and install the correct number of ties to restrain un-sheeted scaffolds to industry guidance and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Determine the component requirements for independent scaffolding.
- Organise materials to operate within the industry and manufacturers configurations and tolerances.
- Use lifting equipment safely to haul up scaffold components and equipment to working platform.
- Lay out materials, set out scaffolds to erect and dismantle scaffolds in a safe sequence.
- Inspect scaffolds prior to hand over.
- Use access and work at height equipment in accordance with training, relevant regulations and employer’s and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Erect and dismantle independent with cantilever section to a maximum height of 2m working platform.
- Erect and dismantle independent scaffolds, with features for example, towers, birdcages, chimney stacks, loading bays with or without beams, truss outs with beams, splays, and bridging sections with beams and gantry scaffolds.
- Communicate with others verbally for example, internal and external customers, colleagues, and managers.
- Apply team working principles.
- Interpret information from drawings and specifications.
- Follow equity, diversity and inclusion guidelines.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.