Port marine operations officer (level 4)
Assists in ensuring the safe transit and handling of vessels into and out of the port.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to higher national certificate (HNC).
- Typical duration
- 24 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Transport and logistics
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- safely steer, manoeuvre, navigate and crew different types of marine craft, such as: pilot boats, work boats, survey boats, etc
- conduct marine craft operations including basic towage, personnel transfer and recovery, hydrographic surveying, etc. in line with port specific guidelines
- respond to fire and emergencies including on board vessels and use emergency equipment including oil spill response
- administer basic first aid at work
- lead, manage and engage with colleagues and others including, emergency services and other stakeholders in all marine activities within a port; take control of a situation, deliver reliable and dependable results in work outputs, quality, work ethics and self-development, as well as encouraging and supporting the development of others
- safely moor and unmoor vessels of a range of type and size
- safely handle loads manually and mechanically, including mooring lines, cargo, stores,etc
- demonstrate personal water safety around the harbour and sea survival skills
- communicate clearly and use communications equipment including VHF radio
- operate within health, safety and security systems and practice these in line with regulation, codes of practice and company policies and procedures
- operate navigational systems and equipment such as: compasses, Global Navigation Satellite Systems, radar, Automatic Information Systems, etc.
- carry out port marine operations specific to the setting such as leisure, fishing, cargoes, passenger etc
- contribute to the protection of the marine environment including protection of sites of special scientific interest and marine conservation zones
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.