Passenger transport operations manager (level 4)
Managing, planning and coordinating passenger transport operations
- Qualification level
Equivalent to higher national certificate (HNC).
- Typical duration
- 18 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Transport and logistics
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Evaluate the transport environment and ensure it complies with relevant laws and contractual obligations
- Ensure checks to the transport environment are performed and that teams are working in a safe and efficient manner.
- Comply with procedures regarding personal preparation prior to undertaking a role in the transport environment.
- Comply with security procedures and systems, taking appropriate action when a breach has occurred or is suspected.
- Monitor and review safe working practices and make suitable recommendations for change.
- Recognise when behaviour is inappropriate and could lead to a conflict or dangerous situation and take prompt actions to ensure safety.
- Conduct a transport environment risk assessment.
- Investigate the nature and level of an incident or emergency and determine the likely cause based on the evidence and ensure corrective action is taken and preventative controls are put in place.
- Act appropriately and effectively during incidents and emergency situations to minimise risks to people and the environment.
- Monitor and review the availability of facilities and services and implement plans to meet demand and minimise disruption to the transport service.
- Monitor and evaluate information and feedback, recognise trends and suggest improvements to transport services and products.
- Recognise opportunities and implement plans to improve the customer experience within the transport environment.
- Develop a network of contacts within the transport environment and associated industries with clear personal and organisational benefits.
- Review processes and procedures to improve performance of service.
- Encourage a culture of continuous improvement and identify efficiencies.
- Assess your team's current skills, knowledge and competence against business needs.
- Analyse and interpret management information
- Present relevant and specific information to key network stakeholders, ancillary services, groups of staff and customers.
- Conduct negotiations with key stakeholders to meet objectives and inspire confidence in the transport industry.
- Identify and assess situations that may lead to confusion, panic and conflict and provide management intervention in a way that maintains the safe operation of the transport environment.
- Identify and assess when teams and/or individuals require support, the techniques for dealing with this and the potential impact of a lack of support.
- Encourage customer service actions that comply with transport industry standards and promote a positive image of the transport environment.
- Assess the outcomes of both negative and positive customer feedback and implement improvements to the customer experience.
- Management skills and competence
- Prepare for and support compliance checks and audits and take corrective action.
- Monitor the performance of contracts including resource requirements and take action when variations occur.
- Investigate and take action when fraud is suspected or has been identified.
- Build and maintain a team which meets the needs and the strategic objectives of the business and the safe operation of the transport environment.
- Set objectives, provide support and monitor and review the progress of the team and department.
- Manage the control of resources, equipment and materials, determining the quality, quantity and suitability for the benefit of transport service delivery.
- Build staff commitment to organisational values and goals and encourage collaboration.
- Evaluate and deal with the performance issues affecting team members ensuring courses of action are in-line with professional codes of conduct.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.