Civil engineer (degree) (level 6)
Designing, maintaining and decommissioning civil engineering infrastructure.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to degree.
- Typical duration
- 66 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Construction and the built environment
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Evaluate the impact of civil engineering infrastructure on society and the environment taking account of business, client and end user needs in its construction, management and use. Examples include: the ability to use the CEEQUAL toolkit, carry out environmental impact assessments, designing and constructing the built infrastructure to ensure that it is safe, usable, appropriate and cost effective
- Proactively consider welfare, health, safety and sustainability in the life cycle of civil engineering infrastructure using tools such as CEEQUAL and environmental impact assessments
- Apply mathematical, scientific and engineering principles, methods and modelling to the design and construction of civil engineering infrastructure. Examples include: the design, construction and maintenance of buildings, transportation systems, water and wastewater networks, foundations and temporary works, understanding slope stability, retaining walls, ground water movement, coastal works, elastic/plastic and failure behaviour of materials such as concrete, steel, asphalt and timber, behaviour of structural elements such as beams, land surveying
- Use and validate digital solutions and data gathering tools to model, evaluate, design, test, build, and manage civil engineering infrastructure defining engineering and other constraints, identifying risks and how these may be resolved through design. Examples include: ability to use building information modelling, structural engineering design and analysis, computational fluid dynamics and geospatial information systems software
- Develop innovative, safe, technical solutions to civil engineering problems through the use of research techniques, market intelligence and best practice. Examples include: ability to use of range of research methods to collect and analyses data to draw well-founded practical conclusions for implementation, applicable research strategy and methodology, literature searches
- Interpret and apply design and quality standards including codes of practice, legal and regulatory frameworks, in the development of civil engineering solutions, the determination of construction methods and the technical aspects of site activities. Examples include: planning, designing, construction and maintenance of buildings and infrastructure in compliance with current codes, standards and legislation, industry regulations, the use of Risk Assessment Method Statements
- Manage and apply safe systems of work including taking responsibility for own obligations for health, safety and welfare issues, assessing and controlling risk, working with health, safety and welfare legislation and best practice. Examples include: recognise the health and safety aspects of civil and infrastructural projects as well as assess associated risks and identify appropriate safety measures in site work and for undertaking construction works. Apply the principles of civil engineering and construction business risk management
- Manage the planning, budgeting and organisation of tasks, people and resources through the use of appropriate management systems, working to agreed quality standards, project programme and budget, within legal, contractual and statutory requirements
- Manage teams and develop staff to meet changing technical and managerial needs
- Communicate effectively and provide guidance to others through design models, calculations, reports, drawings, specifications, presentations, digital media and discussions with those both inside and outside the industry
- Carry out and record the continuing professional development necessary to maintain and enhance knowledge and competence as a civil engineer
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.