Metrology technician (level 3)
Using, designing and repairing equipment for taking measurements.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 36 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Health and science
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- measurement researcher
- measurement tester
- metrology inspector
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Identify measurement needs and make informed decisions about the measurement process and timescales required, including selection of; tools, equipment, instrumentation and software programs.
- Access and interpret information and documentation to support the measurement process including; data, manuals, specifications, catalogues, calibration certificates and computer-generated information.
- Prepare the work environment and perform tests and checks on measurement tools, equipment, instrumentation and software programs and determine suitability for use.
- Take action when non-conforming tools, equipment, instrumentation, materials and software programs have been identified.
- Plan and perform measurement tasks to ensure verifiable results, using measurement tools, equipment, instrumentation and software programs, following specified procedures and methodologies.
- Retrieve, analyse, interpret, validate and record measurement results and data in line with specifications.
- Contribute to the production of records, reports and other measurement documentation.
- Communicate relevant and specific information through various channels to meet customer requirements.
- Comply with statutory regulations, national and international standards, industry and organisational procedures and requirements relating to codes of conduct when carrying out measurement tasks.
- Comply with relevant Health and Safety legislation, regulation, standards, industry and organisational policies and procedures and requirements relating to safe working practices.
- Comply with policies and procedures relating to the preparation, storage, standards, control and handling of samples, tools, equipment, instrumentation and software programs.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.