Hairdressing professional (level 2)
The practical application of Hairdressing skills and knowledge, personalised to client requirements, whilst providing an outstanding service.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 24 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Hair and beauty
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Hair professional
- Hair stylist
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Adhere to legal and organisational requirements for the safe use of products, tools, materials and equipment.
- Apply safe, hygienic, and effective methods of working and infection control, while completing hairdressing services.
- Use communication and etiquette that meets industry requirements, suits and is appropriate to the organisation.
- Maintain the client’s confidentiality and comfort (modesty, privacy) at the start and during the service.
- Advise clients (new and regular) pre, during and after service on the maintenance of the look, complementary services and retail products available in the salon.
- Promote yourself, your organisation, products and services via a variety of social channels.
- Carry out wider salon duties to support the salon business (e.g. services, bookings, payments, retail, upselling and sales).
- Use a range of products, tools, equipment used in Hairdressing services in accordance with legal organisational requirements.
- Complete and maintain client records in accordance with legal and organisational requirements.
- Work as part of a team to support the salon businesses.
- Use working methods that promote environmental and sustainable working practices.
- Carry out a consultation, examine and analyse the hair, skin and scalp and complete relevant industry tests (e.g. hair classification type and characteristics tests).
- Identify (question/observation) any contraindications or limiting factors that are likely to affect or influence the service.
- Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp.
- Dry and finish hair using a range of techniques to create a range of looks, that meets the intended shape, direction, balance and volume agreed with the client.
- Use current setting and dressing techniques to create a range of looks that meets the intended shape, direction, balance, and volume agreed with the client.
- Cut hair using a range of technical skills and cutting techniques to create a range of looks, considering weight distribution, cutting angles, balance and degree of graduation, and the natural growth patterns of the hair, length of the hair ( club cutting, scissor over comb, clipper over comb, texturising, freehand, thinning, layering and razor cutting).
- Restyle hair to create a personalised short or medium (above the shoulder) length hair cut, changing the shape, length and style hair using a range of cutting techniques.
- Complete a range of hair colouring and lightening services to change the depth and tone using current colouring techniques (e.g. freehand techniques, woven highlights or lowlights, root re-touch, half head and full head application, temporary, semi-permanent, demi- permanent, quasi-permanent, permanent colour and lighteners).
- Evaluate the results of the service.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.