Associate ambulance practitioner (level 4)
Responding to 999 and urgent calls, and providing emergency care for people as part of an ambulance crew.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to higher national certificate (HNC).
- Typical duration
- 18 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Health and science
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- ambulance crew
- ambulance technician
- emergency care assistant
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Engage in organisational effectiveness, and personal & professional development by using & promoting: Effective communication; conflict resolution training; equality & inclusion; implementation of health & safety; safeguarding and protecting individuals and groups; person centred approaches; good practice in information governance; infection prevention & control measures; duty of care and patient’s privacy & dignity.
- Undertake risk assessment prior to moving & positioning individuals, using equipment and other items safely.
- Follow a stepwise and holistic approach to patient assessment, undertaking a range of physiological measurements using appropriate equipment in a safe and effective manner.
- Make appropriate changes or recommendations to the treatment plan within their scope of practice, reporting changes where applicable and necessary.
- Manage service users and others across the age ranges - from babies & children to care for the elderly - within the emergency & urgent care setting, to include: airway, respiratory & circulatory management; wounds & bleeding; burns & scalds; medical conditions; bones-joints-ligaments-tendons injuries; use of medical gases; pregnancy & child birth; hostile & major incidents; substances hazardous to health and pain management.
- Perform intermediate life support for individuals across the age ranges using appropriate equipment and techniques safely and effectively. Assist the practitioner in the skills of Cannulation, Fluids Treatment and Intubation, including the preparation of live saving drugs, using the skills necessary to deliver effective medicines management criteria.
- Perform a range of light rescue and extrication techniques in a safe and effective manner, using a range of equipment.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.