Heavy vehicle service and maintenance technician (level 3)
Inspecting and repairing a range of heavy vehicles (HVs) and trailers for dealerships, independent garages and franchise and large fleet operators.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 36 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- bus engineer
- coach engineer
- Heavy Goods Vehicle
- Heavy Goods Vehicle Maintenance Technician
- heavy goods vehicle technician
- Heavy Vehicle Maintenance Technician
- heavy vehicle mechanic
- Heavy Vehicle Service Technician
- HGV Maintenance Technician
- HGV mechanic
- HGV Service Technician
- HV Maintenance Technician
- HV mechanic
- HV Service Technician
- lorry mechanic
- lorry technician
- Service Technician
- truck mechanic
- truck technician
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Carry out the basic tasks with tools and equipment common to all procedures involving basic mechanical and electrical procedures related to HV
- The ability to keep updated with emerging new technologies within the HV industry.
- Contribute to the maintenance of a safe and efficient workshop and adhere to the company and legislative processes.
- Access specific and related HV technical information appropriately.
- The ability to service, inspect and maintain HVs and trailers to meet company, Driver and vehicle standards agency (DVSA) and manufacturers’ standards.
- Use a range of diagnostic and electrical measuring equipment to identify faults and underlying causes on HV’s.
- Successfully inspect and prepare vehicles and trailers to meet DVSA standards prescribed in the tester’s manual.
- Carry out final quality checks before handover to the customer without supervision.
- Apply advanced diagnostic principles and logical/problem solving techniques and regimes.
- Maintain records to company and operators’ licence obligations and regulation.
- To be able to communicate effectively in both oral and written mediums both internally and with customers on a range of topics that will support, HV inspection and diagnosing techniques.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.